Background: My wife and I moved to DeKalb in 1986. We have five children, four whom have graduated from DHS and have earned their college degrees. Our son is a Junior at DHS. I attended college at the University of Nebraska, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Ag Ed and Ag Econ. For twenty years I worked at DeKalb Genetics in sales and business management positions. Over the past eleven years I have worked at Zea Mays Holdings, LLC in Sycamore, managing the firms community development and philanthropy efforts.
Over the past twelve years I have served on several non-profit boards in our area. Boards that I have served and chaired include; Kishwaukee United Way, Sycamore Chamber of Commerce, Opportunity House, the DeKalb County Community Foundation and the Barb Boosters. Other Boards I am currently serving on are; Kishwaukee Health System and Kishwaukee Health Foundation.
Why should people vote for you?
The most important asset to the communities of Cortland, DeKalb and Malta is our school district. My promise is to listen to the residents of the district for their input, as well as making sure parents, students and teachers have a voice as well. Specific area’s I will focus on as a Board member include:
IMPROVED STUDENT PERFORMANCE
- Improved use of technology to both engage and enhance the performance of students.
- Review current school and department standards. Examine what are the targets for our students to achieve and what methods are being used.
- Focus on communciation. Administrator to teacher to student/parent. Insure that all involved in the educational process understand the goals and tools available. Our common goal is to make sure every child succeeds.
- Annually establish a thorough review of each individual school budget.
- Create an open dialogue with parents and residents to establish funding priorities in the district.
IMPROVE COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
- Engage businesses/employers to assist educator’s in what are basic skill requirements for future employment. Let’s retain our graduates and help them find jobs locally.
- Develop interaction between residents/businesses and students to reinforce that they are the future of our communities. Find meaningful ways to engage our citizens that will add value to the education experience.
- Expand relationships with both Kishwaukee College and NIU to develop solid career tracks for all students.
My only motivation in running for this position is to offer my talents to make our schools in District 428 become the best that they can possibly be. I salute all of those who have served and have offered to serve in this important role for our District. Your vote would be very much appreciated.
Thanks for the forum to participate.