Trick or Treat hours around DeKalb County are all on Halloween this year, which is this Monday, October 31st. Be sure to have your children go in groups of 3 or more and as always, be aware of their surroundings. Remember to have your candy on hand too!
The following communities have Trick or Treat hours from 4pm – 8pm: DeKalb, Sycamore, Kirkland, Cortland, Malta, Kingston, Waterman and Hinckley.
The following communities have Trick or Treat hours from 4pm – 7pm: Genoa, Somonauk, Sandwich and Shabbona.
There is no real “trick” to making Halloween a real treat for the entire family. The major dangers are not from witches or spirits but rather from falls and pedestrian/car crashes. Halloween is such a fun time of year for kids and adults alike, so its important that we take some precautions to keep it that way! Following is a list of trick or treating tips for your family.
- Wear comfortable shoes!!
- Make sure costumes don’t drag on the ground
- Carry a flashlight
- Only carry flexible props
- Wear something with a reflector on it.
- Go out before dark-especially for little ones. The big kids tend to flood the streets later at night making it hard for little ones to trick or treat.
- Never go into a strangers house, even if they ask you to come in while they go and get some candy.
- Throw away all homemade or unwrapped treats.
- When walking down the street, have the adult walk closest to the road, and the children closest to the houses.
- Do not run ahead of the adults-its very easy for children to get carried away and accidentally run into the road.
- Do not pet strange animals while trick or treating.
- Do not eat candy as you go.
- Always be nice, even when people do not have any candy to give out.
- Do not knock on doors where the lights are off.
- Watch where you step!