Hello, my name is Les Bellah. I am a candidate for re-election as mayor of Kirkland. My wife Patsy and I came to Kirkland in 1970.
We started our family in 1974. We have two children and 4 grandchildren. All of them have attended Hiawatha schools.
I have served as village trustee for a total of sixteen years and have held the office of mayor for a total of twelve years. I am very proud of my accomplishments over the years.
I was successful in annexing several properties that broadened the residential and industrial tax base for Kirkland. The Village Board and I worked hard on Euclid Chemical Company. During my tenure as mayor, two subdivisions were completed and Hickory Ridge remains a work in progress. Negotiations on those annexations brought many benefits including the Kirkland Fire Department facility.
I am a strong advocate for the children in our town. I am invited to speak with them at school each year. I listen to them! But most important, I hear them! I work hard each year to help present the Memorial Day program. This year will mark the fifth my production of “Pickin’ In The Park,” where money is raised for scholarships to be given to deserving students who have family ties to veterans who have honorably served this great country.
I am tuned in to the wants and needs of our village and I will continue working as hard as I can for you. Please understand, I am qualified, eager and ready to serve for another term as mayor. On April 9th, I hope you will give me the honor of voting for me!
- Faithfully served twenty eight years as Trustee and Mayor.
- Member of DeKalb County Economic Development Corporation.
- Founding member of the DeKalb County Regional Plan Commission.
- I participated in the rapid response training seminar at Hiawatha School.
- I personally funded part of the community safety net program when funding efforts fell short. This program teaches safety to school children.
- I take an active part in the D.A.R.E. Program each year. Each year I speak to the 4th grade classes as they study units of government.
- I have worked very hard in getting a new factory in Kirkland that is now operating in the former Tempo building.
- I was very much involved in securing the pharmacy we now have in Kirkland.
- I am a member of the Northern Illinois Mayor’s Association. Currently serving as Secretary / Treasurer.
- I worked very hard to find a way to help save you money each month on the cost of your electricity.