Where and When Are the Fireworks Around Here?

0
1842

fireworksvtworedFriday, July 4th, 2014

The City of DeKalb’s Fourth of July Celebration is in Hopkins Park at 1403 Sycamore Rd. in DeKalb on Friday, July 4, 2013. Come to Hopkins Park during the day staring at 2pm to take advantage of the vendors, food, crafts, live music and fireworks. Bring chairs, blankets, games, and appetites for a full afternoon and evening of fun. The DeKalb Municipal Band will perform in the bandshell before and during the fireworks.

Or, spend the holiday at Shabbona and Shabbona Lake in Southern DeKalb County. Make sure to check out the Shabbona Hometown Festival that goes on both Friday and Saturday.

On Friday, July 4th, join them as they celebrate our Country’s 238th birthday at Shabbona Lake State Park.  Shabbona Lake State Park is a 1,550 acre pristine park located on the South edge of Shabbona.  Shabbona Lake is a 318 acre lake with 6 ¼ miles of shoreline. Start the day out with the 2nd Annual Pokanoka’s Trail Run/Walk, which is also a benefit for Safe Passage, domestic violence shelter. Spend the day fishing, boating or picnicking at this great local State Park.  Bring your lawn chair, your children or grandchildren and your friends and neighbors.

Enjoy the spectacular sight of bomblasting fireworks reflecting off of the glistening waters of Shabbona Lake to the “ooooh’s and aaaah’s” of the crowd. The reverberating sounds caused by exploding fireworks echoing off of the surrounding woods, will send chills up your spine!  Six years ago the Shabbona Fireworks Committee was formed to save the 20 year tradition of fireworks being shot directly over Shabbona Lake.  The committee uses community groups to collect a voluntary $10 per camp site or $10 per car entering the State Park or nearby Indian Oaks Country Club to enjoy 2013’s best aerial and sound show.  10% of all monies collected go directly to the community groups.  The remaining 90 per cent is used for the next year’s fireworks.  Without the gate donations, there would be no fireworks at Shabbona Lake. www.shabbonafireworks.com

Saturday, July 5th, 2014

We’ve already written about Kirkland’s 4th of July festival which runs from Thursday through Saturday and includes a carnival, beer garden and bands each day. Spend the day in Kirkland on Saturday, July 6th, enjoy the festivities and watch their huge firework display on Saturday evening.

Or, watch Stock Car Racing plus a large Firework Display at the Sycamore Speedway on Saturday, July 6th. The fun starts at 6:00pm with time trials and ends with an awesome fireworks show. The Sycamore Speedway is located at 50W086 Route 64 in Maple Park. The night is free for ages under 6, $5.00 ages 6-13 and $15.00 for ages 14 and up. Cash only. For more information, please call (815) 895-5454 or visit http://sycamorespeedway.com.

Sunday, July 6th, 2014

Sandwich Park District’s Independence Celebrations are on both Saturday and Sunday, July 5th and 6th, 2014. Their parade will be at 10am on Saturday. On Sunday, get in on the Freedom Run 5K/1 Mile Walk/Run, with an 8:00 am start. There will be fireworks at Sandwich Fairgrounds at dusk.Food vendors will be available.  A donation is $5 per family is appreciated, donations help to defray the cost. Click here for more information about the event.

 

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.