Understanding Your Auto Coverage


car about to crash

You know if you have a car, you need auto insurance.
However, you’re probably not thinking about what kind of coverage you have
until you need it. From protecting your car, to protecting your passengers and
any prized possessions along for the ride, it’s good to know your ERIE policy
has you covered for life’s little mishaps.

Say your daughter forgets your car is parked right behind
her in the driveway or a deer doesn’t wait his turn to cross the street, we’ll
make sure you’re back on the road as soon as possible. In the moments after an
accident, so many things are happening that you may feel overwhelmed. Thinking
about what you auto policy covers shouldn’t be one of them.

Common Coverages
Depending on your state’s requirements for auto insurance
and what limits and options you pick, your auto policy can include up to six
common coverages.

You Cause an Accident and Someone Gets Hurt: If you cause
an accident and other people are injured due to your negligence, bodily injury
liability coverage is what protects you against their claims for damages, such
as medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. (Talk to your ERIE
Agent to learn more and to determine what limits are best for your situation.)

You Need Medical Treatment: If you or others covered on
your policy are injured in an accident while occupying your vehicle, there’s a
coverage that reimburses for medical treatment. It’s called medical payments
coverage or personal injury protection.

Not Enough to Go Around: Uninsured or underinsured
motorist coverage (optional in some states) is for your protection. If you are
injured by a hit-and-run driver or a driver who does not have auto liability
insurance, you’re covered by uninsured motorist coverage. Underinsured motorist
coverage pays when the other person doesn’t have enough coverage to cover the
entire cost of your injury claim.

Financial Security Blanket: Comprehensive (or “Comp” for
short) insurance provides financial protection for your car from loss to due to
fire, theft or damage not caused by a collision (for example, hitting that deer
we mentioned earlier).

Crash Helmet: Collision coverage is used when your car
collides with another car or object, or flips over. So if you have a newer
vehicle, are on a lease or still owe on your car loan, you would definitely
want comp and collision.

To take a look at your current coverage, contact your
ERIE Agent

Read more about Understanding Your Auto Coverage:

Valuable Auto Insurance Discounts
Added Options to Enhance Your Auto Insurance Policy
Visible ERIE “Xtras” Included with Your Auto Policy


Click here to visit Pardridge Insurance online and see how they can help you!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.