James Mason, a real estate investor in DeKalb, has filed a 176-count complaint against District 428 CUSD alleging the school district is intentionally concealing out-of-district enrollment numbers.
Mason owns approximately 735 real estate units in DeKalb and pays more than $1.2 million annually in property taxes in District 428 boundaries, according to documents filed.
According to the complaint:
- DeKalb’s population decreased by 689 people between 2010 to 2014
- Dist 428 increased its transporation levy request 619% while admitting publicly to intentionally over-levying for transportation as a ruse to later transfer fake transportation funds to other funds that were already taxed to the maximun limits allowed by law
- Dist 428 increased its special education levy by 318% between 2010 to 2014
- Dist 428 increased its total levy request 68% from 2005 to 2017 despite declining population
- Dist 428 propery values decreased by almost 25% between 2010 and 2014
Amended First Complaint:7-31-18 First Amended Complaint
Exhibits:7-31-18 Exhibits Violation Evidence