Experience life by tasting dishes from around the world! Relish in this Moroccan dish that is low in fat and loaded with Spring flavor. Packed with vegetables, this stew for 4 is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Best of all, our Chicken Tagine can be made ahead and refrigerator overnight.
You will need:
- A 4-pound chicken with the legs separated, breasts halved, and skin and fat removed
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 ½ cup low-sodium broth
- 6 crumbled saffron threads
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut
- ¼ preserved lemon rind
- 8 artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1 cup peas
- Salt and pepper
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. In a cast-iron casserole, combine the chicken with the chopped onion and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil.
3. In a small bowl, combine the saffron threads, ginger, coriander, cumin, paprika, and turmeric. Stir the spices into the broth, cover, and simmer over low heat.
4. Turn the chicken breast pieces once after 25 minutes. After cooked throughout, transfer to a bowl and cover. Continue to cook the drumsticks and thighs about 15 minutes longer. Transfer to the bowl and keep covered.
5. Add the minced onion, tomatoes, lemon rind, and artichoke hearts to the casserole. Simmer over moderate heat about 5 minutes. Return the chicken and simmer until heated through.
6. Serve in shallow bowls and enjoy the rich flavor of Morocco!