The Egyptian Theatre in Downtown DeKalb is excited to announce that they have received a $30,000 grant from the Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund that will go towards the Theatre’s operations budget.
This grant was made possible through a board of advisors’ distribution through the Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund, a donor advised fund within the DeKalb County Community Foundation. This funding comes at an absolutely crucial time for the Egyptian which has been closed or operating at an extremely limited capacity since March.
“COVID-19 has had a chilling effect on the live entertainment industry,” Egyptian Theatre Executive Director Alex Nerad stated. “This support from the Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation Fund Grant is critical to ensuring that the Egyptian Theatre not only endures this pandemic, but can return to the vibrancy of programming we were offering before COVID.”
Outside of a pandemic, the Egyptian Theatre, which has been in operation since 1929, welcomes over 42,000 patrons a year, is the host sight for events from over 25 local non-profits and recently completed a $6.5 million expansion that expanded their restrooms, concessions and for the first time in its 91-year history, added air-conditioning!
The Egyptian Theatre located at 135 N. 2nd Street in Downtown DeKalb, IL is owned and operated by Preservation of Egyptian Theatre, Inc. a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.