Most years, the gift-giving season seems to creep up on me. I try to think of everyone I need to get a gift for ahead of the big holiday craze and shop throughout the year, however, someone usually slips my mind with just a few days before the holiday in question.
This can be panic-inducing, but the good news is there are plenty of options for last-minute gifts. Some items can be immediately purchased with just a click of the mouse, while others may take a bit more time. Remember, just because it is last-minute does not mean it has to be very expensive. Many will appreciate the precious time you put into the gift.
Look around your home. Maybe you already have some things on hand that will let you create beautiful, last-minute, easy to assemble and affordable gifts. For example, do you have mason jars and the ingredients for a great cookie recipe to share? Then you’re in business! Or maybe you are crafty and have some yarn laying around. You can easily create beautiful small wearable and practical gifts in a matter of a few hours.
My favorite gift ideas are listed below and may take at most a few hours to complete.
- Visit your local indoor farmers’ market. Yes! They may still be going on at this time of the year. Not only can you find some beautiful gifts for loved ones, but you are also supporting local businesses this way. Think local honey, hand-made soaps and not-too-pricey jewelry.
- Browse your local hardware store. You may be surprised at the unexpected treasures awaiting. You can find fun things like animal-shaped cable protectors, cheerful pop sockets and cozy lounge socks.
- Are you crafty? Great! There are so many things you can make with just one skein of yarn and knitting needles or a standard crochet hook. In the past, I’ve made a cute cell phone holder or purse, beanies, and scarves. There are so many easy to follow instructions online.
- Baking cookies for the season? This is the perfect opportunity to make some extra and package them nicely to present as a gift. A pretty tin or festive cellophane bag would work well as packaging.
- Cook a meal or two and then share it. This is a great gift idea for someone who doesn’t typically have much time to prepare meals for one reason or another.
- Back to the idea of mason jars: they can be filled with many different things like homemade jams and jellies, a cookie, pancake or bean soup mix, or even a customized Epsom salt bath mix. You can layer each ingredient and to add interest, decorate it with a specialty cloth, ribbon or a hand-written note.
- If you are in a real time crunch, look for a holiday gift set for that special someone. Most stores carry them and you can get those even the evening before.
- Let’s talk gift cards! Many see them as the “easy way out” but I beg to differ since you still put thought into where to get one. Maybe you know the recipient loves coffee and so, you get a card to her or his favorite coffee place.
- If you are really pressed for time, subscription boxes are a great way to go. There are so many out there that cover anything from food and drink to beauty to pets and lifestyle.
- Last but not least, the absolute fastest way to get a gift for someone the last minute are online subscriptions to digital magazines like Readly or gaming sites like Steam.
Do you have your own last-minute gift-giving ideas? Drop us a comment below!