Each year on the first Friday in October, ‘World Smile Day’ devotes a day to smiles and spreading random acts of kindness. With all the negativity in the world, this can be the day that makes a difference.
If someone smiles at you, you’re bound to smile back. A smile often expresses a feeling, encouragement to someone, or serves as a greeting. If you don’t smile enough, today is the perfect day to start.
There are many benefits of smiling:
• Improves mood
• Lowers blood pressure
• Relieves stress
• Betters relationships
• Boosts the immune system
• Relieves pain
• Increases life expectancy
On World Smile Day, people worldwide are encouraged to do an act of kindness and make one person smile. Each year the ‘Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation’ holds special events on World Smile Day. The day is wildly popular in Worcester, MA, the birthplace of the “yellow smiley face”.
Through the years, the foundation hosted numerous unique events including, the world’s largest human Smiley face, balloon releases, choral performances, sidewalk chalk activities, college concerts, circus performers, and pie-eating contests.
Here is how you can celebrate the day:
• Do a random act of kindness for someone.
• Use a smiley face emoji on every text you send.
• Spread cheer by handing out smiley face stickers.
• Give a smile to everyone you come across.
• Tell someone a funny joke.
• Play happy songs like “Happy” by Pharrell Williams or “Don’t Worry Be Happy” by Bobby McFerrin.
Take a selfie of your own smile and share it on social media with #WorldSmileDay. And whatever you do, have a nice day!
And you too can be a Forrest Gump.